Self-sooth skill involves doing things that feel pleasant, comforting, and provide relief from stress or pain. It helps to pass the time without making things worse.
- Vision: Look for a beautiful sunrise or sunset, the stars at night, or pictures of these things. Look for beautiful photos of beaches or mountains or a beautiful flower. Look to nature all around you.
- Hearing: Listen to music you enjoy. Listen for the breeze, or the trees in the breeze. Listen for birds or waves of the water.
- Smell: Find a fragrance you enjoy, and smell fragrances around you. Smell a flower, or perfume, freshly cut grass, or the burning of wood in a fireplace.
- Taste: Enjoy some of your favorite foods.
- Touch: Apply moisturizer. Take a hot shower, or a long bath. Sit in the sun or shade and feel the warmth or cool of the breeze.