Self-soothing is doing things that feel pleasant, comforting, and provide relief from stress or pain. It makes it much easier to pass the time without making things worse.
think of soothing each of your five senses
- Vision: Look for a beautiful sunrise or sunset, the stars at night, or pictures of these things. Look for beautiful photos of beaches or mountains or a beautiful flower. Look to nature all around you.
- Hearing: Listen to music you enjoy. Listen for the breeze, or the trees in the breeze. Listen for birds or waves of the water.
- Smell: Find a fragrance you enjoy, and smell fragrances around you. Smell a flower, or perfume.
- Taste: Enjoy some of your favorite foods.
- Touch: Apply moisturizer. Take a hot shower, or a long bath. Sit in the sun or shade and feel the warmth or cool of the breeze.