Opposite Action Skill
Every emotion is activating…emotions are hard-wired in our biology. They get us ready to act. Here are some examples:
- Thirst: tells us that we need to hydrate. It activates us to drink water.
- Hunger: tells us that we need to give our body fuel. It activates us to eat.
- Fatigue: tells us that we need rest. It activates us to sleep.
Switch it Up
The 3 emotions listed above are helpful for our survival; but those that follow require thought before we act and opposite action may be helpful.
Anger: gets us ready to attack/ It activates us to attack or defend.Opposite: show kindness/concern or walk away.
Shame: gets us ready to hide. It activates us isolate.Opposite: raise your head up, give eye contact, shoulders back.
Fear: gets us ready to run or hide. It activates us to escape danger.Opposite: go towards, stay involved in it, build courage.
Depression: gets us ready to be inactive. It activates us to avoid contact.Opposite: get active.
Disgust: gets us ready to reject or distance ourselves. It activates us to avoid.Opposite: push through and get through situation.
Guilt: gets us ready to repair violations. It activates us to seek forgiveness.Opposite: apologize and mean what we say.
- 1If we want an emotion to stick around or increase, continue to do the action as above.
- 2If we want an emotion to go away or become less uncomfortable, do the opposite action.
- 3If you want this skill to work, you must use opposite action all the way and believe that it will work.