Opposite Action Skill
All emotions activate us to respond and the type of activation is biologically wired. The Opposite Action Skill allows us to choose to respond opposite from what our biological response would activate us to do. They get us ready to act. Here are some examples:
- Thirst: tells us that we need to hydrate. It activates us to drink water.
- Hunger: tells us that we need to give our body fuel. It activates us to eat.
- Fatigue: tells us that we need rest. It activates us to sleep.
Switch it Up
The 3 emotions listed above are helpful for our survival; but those that follow require thought before we act and opposite action may be helpful.
Anger gets us ready to attack/ It activates us to attack or defend.Opposite show kindness/concern or walk away.
Shame gets us ready to hide. It activates us isolate.Opposite raise your head up, give eye contact, shoulders back.
Fear gets us ready to run or hide. It activates us to escape danger.Opposite go towards, stay involved in it, build courage.
Depression gets us ready to be inactive. It activates us to avoid contact.Opposite get active.
Disgust gets us ready to reject or distance ourselves. It activates us to avoid.Opposite push through and get through situation.
Guilt gets us ready to repair violations. It activates us to seek forgiveness.Opposite apologize and mean what we say.
- 1If we want an emotion to stick around or increase, continue to do the action as above.
- 2If we want an emotion to go away or become less uncomfortable, do the opposite action.
- 3If we want this skill to work, we must use opposite action all the way and believe that it will work.