The intent of the IMPROVE skill is to improve the moment by replacing the immediate event that has caused unpleasant emotions, with a more positive act, thereby making the moment more pleasant and easier to tolerate.
- Imagery: Improve the moment with Imagery. Imagine a beautiful scene on the beach or in the mountains. Image a safe place in your home.
- Meaning: Improve the moment with Meaning. Find purpose or meaning in your daily activities.
- Prayer: Improve the moment with Prayer. Ask for strength from your supreme being.
- Relaxation: Improve the moment with Relaxation. Breathe deeply, take a hot bath, massage your neck.
- One: Improve the moment with one thing in the moment. Focus your attention on this moment.
- Vacation: Improve the moment with Vacation from adulthood. Go to the beach or the woods for a walk.
- Encouragement: Improve the moment with Encouragement from self. Say positive affirmations aloud to yourself.