To live fully, DBT encourages us to be non-judgmental, mindful of the moment, and to focus on the desired outcome for each situation.
- Taking a non-judgmental stance means – do not judge things as good or bad, right or wrong.
- It is effective to focus on the consequence of behavior instead of judging others or ourselves.
- It is helpful to fully describe what is observed and collect just the facts; without judging those involved or the circumstances.
- It is the ability to focus the mind (and awareness) in the current moment.
- Try not to become distracted by thoughts or images of the past.
- Try to put your worries about the future away and focus on the task at hand.
- Engage in the activity of the moment with your eyes wide open.
- Do what works.
- Try not to worry about being “right”.
- Focus on the outcome you desire.